How to Apply
The Children's Defense Fund-Ohio will offer a new round of scholarships in 2019. Information and applications will be available beginning September 2018.
For consideration in the Ohio Beat the Odds scholarship program, an applicant must:
- Be a current high school senior in Ohio attending a public, charter or alternative high school;
- Be nominated or seek nomination from a teacher, counselor, caseworker, or other adult who can speak to the student’s challenges;
- Have overcome significant adversity such as, but not limited to, poverty, disability, homelessness or abuse;
- Demonstrate participation in school activities, community organizations, employment and/or community service;
- Have a current G.P.A. of 3.0 or higher; and
- Graduate by July of the scholarship year.
Beat the Odds scholarship applications are reviewed by staff and a civic selection committee that reflects the professional and ethnic diversity of our community. We consider each applicant holistically and within the context of their academic achievement, personal circumstances, available support network, and commitment to service.
Winners will be interviewed and videotaped subjects of mini-documentaries to raise awareness about the challenges young people face. These mini-documentaries will be aired at the Beat the Odds Awards Ceremony in the Spring and posted online as part of CDF's YouTube library. Applicants must feel comfortable sharing their stories publicly.
Questions: Please email BTO-Ohio@childrensdefense.org.